8.05.2011

Tiny Shrine and Critique Speak Vlog: Ways To Talk About Art

Happy Paint Party Friday! I can't wait to see what kinda creative mojo you hot mama's have been cooking up in your studios. This week we've got a double dose of party with a two part post: a little piece-in-progress PLUS a How-To video I made just for you. Cause I think you're super pretty...

If you've spent anytime with me in blogland, you'll know that I am obsessed with shrines. I was recently inspired to create a pocket shrine-- a teensy weensy talisman that began as a tiny Altoid tin:




It's difficult to see in the photograph, but the text on the inside of the shrine reads: Expect a Miracle. There is also a ghosty image of the Virgin behind the piece of polished quartz. It was a tiny undertaking with a surprisingly lengthy supply list: paint, candle wax, glitter, nail polish, wood, embroidery floss, glass beads, polished quartz, found paper and a bottle cap!

Vlog time!

As creative creatures, we know that critique can be scary--sometimes so scary it keeps people from making or talking about art. NEVER FEAR. In this short clip I'll explain:

--What the hell critique is and why you need it to GROW.
--Provide suggestions for offering
constructive criticism.
--Give you specific examples of HOW to talk constructively about art!



What are your techniques for talking about art? Let's talk!

16 comments:

Anna said...

Very helpful! I always feel like I don't have the credentials to say anything about the work of others. Now I have some tools.

Also...I might have to arm wrestle you for that imagination sketch. :)

Yvonne said...

Your tiny shrine evokes essence. Loved your video and will come in handy attending art receptions.

amy said...

You are super pretty too :)

me, i am in love with altering altoid tins

Barbara/myth maker said...

Lovely petite shrine. I like the use of the crystal; wish I could see what's behind it.

Great video; it's so good to see you. You rock!

Netty said...

Very pretty shrine, am going to watch your video in a minute. Happy PPF, Annette x

Netty said...

OK am back from watching your video. I don't necessarily agree with everything you say as art means different things to different people and you could totally confuse the artist in question with your thoughts. Also constructive criticism is fine if the artist in question asks for it, but again this can be very open ended. All this sounds very negative I know but I don't think its as clear cut as you seem to think. Anyways these are my thoughts from watching your video.

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

Love shrines and know the shrine tins are a trend right now ~ Well done ~ very creative ~ thanks ^_^
Happy PPF ~ Carol ^_^ (Share the Creative Journey)

Gloria said...

Very nice. I'll have to come back and listen to your video, but happy PPf!

Catherine... said...

Hi Molly, loved your video, you are so refreshing...you made me smile..
Love the idea of your teeny tiny box shrine...I'm more of a witches shrine person than religious...all those years spent in a Convent School... Have a good weekend...

toadinaboat.com said...

But what if we ARE artsy-fartsy weirdos? Nah, just kidding! I usually only offer criticism if asked because sometimes people just want to show off what they have done and don't want advice or criticism even if it is constructive. Sometimes they want it on pieces they are having trouble with but not on pieces they are happy with. I did enjoy the video, though. Helpful ideas there for when someone DOES want a critique.

Shell said...

I love the idea of a portable shrine to take with you. I may have to make one myself especially handy when I do readings.
Always enjoy your videos too. Good topic. People really need to learn the art of constructive criticism.

Geckostone said...

Just LOVE your little shrine in a box!!!You are so creative!!!

Geckostone said...

Sorry to say I couldn't watch the video, just found out we get penalized for going over our limit on MBs, learned the hard way last PPF when I watched just 3 videos and all of a sudden I had a dial up slow connection for two days, ugh!!!Just LOVE your little boxes though, makes me think twice before throwing away those empty altoid tins! Deb

Anne said...

Fun video! And helpful for those who need some help thinking of what to say to their artsy fartsy friends.

Been contemplating what to do with altoid tins; tiny shrines are a cool idea. Gives me all sorts of ideas harking back to grade school dioramas. Hmmm... love the idea of creating a tiny little scene. Thanks for the inspiration.

Annabelle said...

Lovely work on the Mary shrine...adore the ghostly image behind the stone. Beautifully done.

Boho mom said...

Molly - you are the COOLEST!!!!
please make more vlogs!!
seriously....epic coolness...and you don't even have to try!
***LOVIN' the mini shrine made from an altoid box!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...