1.20.2009

Wishcasting: A New Direction

I'm still riding high on the inauguration coverage I've been soaking in all day. I had to beam as I watched the entire world celebrate--watching the globe cheer and people sobbing tears of joy makes me cautiously optimistic. It was like the world took one incredible concurrent exhale. What a celebration! I let the television talk while I worked in my studio, smiling while I smushed around cerulean blue.

But enough drooling--
*** it's time for WishCasting! ***

The Famous Graves: Alex (Muffin), Pat and John...I'm the short one on the end. :)
Image by H. Hanson. Click for a larger view.

Usually, I use this blog space as a forum to discuss my art projects and studio tinkerings but rarely use it to talk about my musical misadventures. This week, I'm making a wish for The Famous Graves--we've decided to venture in a new direction. A really new direction. We've been playing together for four years and have enjoyed several evolutions: punk, ska, kind of punk, dance rock, screamo and eventually moved into our own strange yet scintillating blend of saturated dance metal. After our last round of performances, we'd realized we'd reached a plateau--that we weren't really sure where we were going artistically, who our audience is or who we were really writing music for. I recently had an alarming experience: while trying to sing to the radio I discovered I'd lost most of the upper register of my voice, that screaming was ruining my vocal chords--and quickly. EEP! That wouldn't do.

So--I rounded up the boys for a chat and long story short, we decided to reformat as a jazz combo. I know that sounds like a trip via catapult to the polar end of the musical spectrum BUT it makes sense seeing as each of us started as jazz musicians--in fact that's how I met my Muffin. :) It's a project I've always dreamed about doing and it's finally feasible. Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Billie Holiday and Peggy Lee have always been my heroines--women I wished I looked like, women I wished I sou
nded like, women I wished I was. These Ladies are the epitome of Class, Attitude, Artistry and Raw Talent. While I'm absolutely giddy about getting started, I must admit I'm a little tentative about my ability to move from this:

to this:
Image by H. Hanson

Then this morning I received an e newsletter about the goddess Hathor, telling stories about her amazing ability to shape shift and change to suit her life and adventures. A divine chameleon. Synchronization anyone? So, my wish is for The Famous Graves seed to be carefully tended as it starts to push it's way out of the grime-- that we might be exuberant, expressive and creatively cohesive in making art together in our new and exciting direction!

*** Go out and tend wishes, My Dearies! ***

28 comments:

Her Speak said...

Oopsy! I posted this before Jamie provided a prompt...I'll play by the rules next time. ;)

Blissings!~*

Sheila said...

Hmmmmmmm...sounds like a 'gotta see it!" performance coming up. Make sure you post where and when...too far from CA but I have a daughter in college in MI. *winks*

Genie Sea said...

Oh my! What a fascinating musical journey. I love the female greats you mentioned, but I have to say, there is NO ONE like Molly. :)

Best of luck and FUN in your new direction. :)

Jamie said...

As Molly wishes for herself and The Famous Graves, so I wish also.

As for the transformation, it's already there, beautiful chameleon.

PS And no need to play by the rules. This was the right wish for today. Wishing is the main thing :)

PPS I believe in you.

~Barb~ said...

I wish you guys the best of luck and success. May all your wishes and dreams come true.
Peace & Love,
~Barb~
http://craft-therapy.blogspot.com

Sacred Suzie said...

As Molly wishes for herself and The Famous Graves, so I wish also.

Wow, that's huge! Change can be good and recognizing that you need to take care of your voice and go in a new direction is very wise. As much as I love punk, I also love jazz. Do you guys have music on sale online or something? I would love to "hear" more!

Genie Sea said...

oops I forgot.

As Molly wishes for herself and her musical space, so I wish for her also. :)

todayandeveryday said...

As Molly wishes for herself and The Famous Graves, so I wish also.

Transformations can be fun. It is nice to shape-shift. Good luck!
Peace~
Dawn

Bohemian Single Mom said...

As Molly wishes for herself and The Famous Graves, so I wish also.

Totally cool, cool, COOL!!!!!!!

Kavindra said...

As Molly wishes for herself and The Famous Grave, so I wish also.

You are too adorable, and is there anything you can't do? Well, I know the answer to that - NO! You do it all!

Lissa said...

As Molly wishes for herself and The Famous Graves, so I wish also.

Chameleon’s are fascinating & have "coats of many colors", just like you!

Jenn said...

As Molly wishes for herself and The Musical Graves, so I wish also.

I love the classic jazz style that you mentioned. Listening to it just makes my heart sing. Best of luck with your journey.

SunTiger said...

I'm with ya on the big celebration thing. I loved the Seattle Times today that featured Obama on a red-white-and blue cover with the headline: "Obama Takes Charge."

I hope more of us are inspired to also get into action -- put energy and time into things that matter to us.

Anna said...

As Molly wishes for herself and The Famous Graves, so I wish also.

I was talking to Pat about the new direction today. He is in high spirits and is very excited. The best to you all. You know Katimus Prime and I will be your number 1 jazz junkie fans!

Love to you and your craft.
~Nanners

Taexalia said...

As Molly wishes for herself and The Famous Graves, so I wish also :)

Taexalia

Serena said...

As Molly wishes for herself, so I wish for her also ~

I didn't even realise you were an artist in the musical field also. How COOL! I wish you all every success.

Shell said...

As Molly wishes for herself, so I wish for her and The Famous Graves.
Hey, you know you have to go where you heart calls you. I was doing a lot of regular plays when I really wanted to Shakespeare. Finally my friend Neo, pushed me to do Shakespeare. I'm much happier doing classical theater than modern theater. I'm sure Etta and the rest of the ladies would tell to go for it.

pen* said...

as molly wishes for herself and the famous graves, so i wish for her also.

i second suzie, i would love to hear more, is there a link to your music?

intothedawn said...

As Molly wishes for herself and the Famous Graves, so I wish also! May your transformation be exciting and complete!

Fatma said...

As Molly wishes for herself and the Famous Graves, so I wish for her also.

May your transformation be greater than you imagine.

jennlui said...

as molly wishes for herself (and the graves), so i wish for her!!!

wow dance metal!!! sounds fabulously interesting!!! i'm a big big fan of metal and most of the genres you mention in the beginning... but i am so branching out lately... discovering new music and emotions that lie hidden within... very cool!!! i hope that this new direction supports you and band mates and your poor poor vocal cords!!! yes screaming can be an ouchy endeavor... rest up!!!

peace and love to you molly!!!

yollana said...

Go Molly! I'm wishing an awesome vibe and raprurous response for you and your band as you get back to your roots!

Tally said...

As Molly wishes for herself and The Famous Graves, so I wish also.

Dia said...

As Molly wishes for herself and her musical magic, so I wish for her also!

Oh, Molly - you are a total cutie!!
I would love to hear you sing, too! OK, maybe this is the year to 'get our music out there' - I get asked if I have a harp CD yet (no ) fairly regularly.
Love that a harper is interviewed in 12-Secrets :)

good to read about the changes coming - & feels timely & perfect! Ooo, have you read Gael Baudino's 'Gossamer Axe' ?? a 5th century harper, who went 'under the hill' after hearing the Sidhe bard play at midsummers; & her lady love is still stuck (Christa escaped ~ 1780) . . . she puts togeather a metal band, after seeing the 'magic in the music,' & KNOWS she can finally defeat the bard at his own game . . . one of my favoritest!

Dessa Wolf said...

As Molly wishes for herself and The Famous Graves, so I wish for her also. Reinventing ourselves is what life is all about. Go Graves!

DarklyFey said...

You will be FABULOUS! You already are, so I'm not predicting, I'm stating the obvious. :)

Dia said...

The BROOM arrived today - posted over at the Vale - :) :) & LOVE the photos of the commissioned piece the other day - wow!! Delightful
(did I remember to send you my address for the Goddess give-away?? e-mail me if I didn't dia.song @ yahoo. com

Dream With the Fishes said...

I love that your band have this ability to morph together! No stagnation here. Best of luck on your transition into jazz! As you wish for the Famous Graves, so I wish also!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...